Access EOB Conversion
Paper-originated healthcare remittances, known as Explanation of Benefit (EOBs) or Explanation of Payment (EOP) forms, are documents utilized within the healthcare payment process between payers and providers. These forms vary significantly among payers and abide by no single standard in terms of structure, image clarity, or ease of use. Despite an industry-wide effort to replace EOBs with ERAs (Electronic Remittance Advice), payers continue to use EOBs and providers are still heavily tasked with manual interpretations of the data so as to complete/continue the revenue cycle process.
Access EOB Conversion is the name of the OrboAccess module that extracts data from scanned images or PDF documents created from paper-based Explanation of Benefits (EOB) or Explanation of Payments (EOP). The output is a standard EDI 835 file ready for cash posting in Practice Management (PM) or Hospital Information Systems (HIS).
Access EOB Conversion can be utilized in a wide range of environments depending on the needs of the provider:
- Daily conversion and electronification of EOBs and EOPs from insurance companies for providers, clearinghouses, lockbox processors, BPOs, billers or other revenue cycle companies processing transactions on behalf of the healthcare provider for posting automation.
- Daily, weekly or monthly conversion primarily for downstream applications, i.e. denial management, business intelligence as many times these systems do not have access to payment and remittance data generated from EOB/EOP sources.
- Bulk processing: High volume, bulk processing of EOB/EOP paper documents as an on-demand service. Typically, conversions to new systems, updates to EHR platforms and record indexing projects require bulk processing.
- EOB Indexing is available for environments which desire access to EOB images via searchable field criteria. Clipped images are viewable in the HPAC Portal at a transaction level or claim level. Access EOB Indexing is available in two options:
- EOB Lite Indexing: Transactional information only
- Full EOB Indexing: Up to eight fields per claim.
Access to critical updates, new industry insights, & thought leaders.